Oscar Munoz made the announcement on Tuesday.
It’s been a rough few weeks for United Airlines — and they are not making things any easier.
First, two girls weren’t allowed to board a flight because their leggings did not fit with the airline’s dress code regulations for people using employee discounts (fair). Then, a video went viral of airline employees forcibly removing a screaming 69-year-old from a flight that had been overbooked (not illegal, but also not okay).
The public outrage continued this week when they kicked a couple off of a plane as they were traveling to their own wedding. (Do they even have a PR team?)
In light of the worldwide controversy, it seemed reasonable to assume that at least one employee would be packing up their desk for the worst of the public relations fiascos (the removal incident that left passenger Dr. David Dao with a concussion, a broken nose and lost two front teeth).
But the airline’s CEO, Oscar Munoz, announced Tuesday that no one at United will lose their jobs.
“There was never consideration of firing an employee,” Munoz said, calling the incident a “system failure,” and not the fault of any one employee.
Munoz himself has apologized multiple times for the incident, and said he takes full responsibility “for making this right.”
This latest statement confirms that the airline is conducting a review of its policies on overbooked flights.
It’s too early to tell whether the media frenzy has hurt ticket sales, but Munoz said he looks forward to its “natural position” as a leading airline.
He told customers the situation with Dow has been a “humbling learning experience for all of us, me in particular.”
Adding that “you can and should expect more from us.”
Next, check out these 33 early images from the wild early days of flight. Then, learn why Congress can, but won’t, force Trump to release his tax returns.