Here's everything we know so far about the affair between 24-year-old Houston schoolteacher Alexandria Vera and her 13-year-old student.
Alexandria Vera, a 24-year-old schoolteacher from Houston, Texas, has admitted to having an eight-month affair culminating in an aborted pregnancy with her 13-year-old student.
Vera turned herself in on Wednesday and has since been released on a $100,000 bond. She now awaits trial for continuous sexual abuse of a minor and has made no comments to the press. She has, however, reportedly told investigators that she and the boy, whose name has not been released, are in love.
Their love story — one that began with help from Instagram and had the blessing of the boy’s parents — began last summer. The timeline, as court documents and the surrounding investigation show, looks something like this:
- Summer 2015: The boy is assigned to Alexandria Vera’s summer school class. He flirts with her and asks for her Instagram name, but she refuses.
- Late summer, 2015: Vera is informed that the boy has been assigned to her class for the upcoming school year. Once school begins, their flirtation continues.
- September 2015: Alexandria Vera notices the boy’s absence from class, and sends him a message via Instagram to check on him. He replies by asking for her phone number and attempting to arrange a meeting. She agrees, they drive around, and then kiss. The following day, they have sex for the first time.
- October 8, 2015: Vera meets the boy’s parents for the first time at the school’s open house. Shortly after, she goes to dinner at the boy’s house and is introduced as his girlfriend.
- Late fall/early winter, 2015-2016: The boy’s parents accept the relationship and Alexandria Vera is invited to several family gatherings. The relationship continues with daily sexual encounters and Vera comes to believe that she and the boy are in love.
- January 2016: The boy impregnates Vera and his family is accepting and excited about the baby.
- February 2016: Child Protective Services unexpectedly shows up at the school to question Alexandria Vera and the boy about their relationship. She denies the relationship but the suspicion spooks her enough to abort the baby. However, Vera turns her phone over to the school district’s police department, revealing many messages related to her relationship with the boy.
- April 2016: Allegations of the relationship become public and Vera is removed from the school and placed on administrative leave. The school district’s police department turns their findings over to the district attorney’s office, which begins preparing charges.
Now, if convicted, Alexandria Vera faces 25 years to life in prison.
After reading about Alexandria Vera, read the shocking new statistics on sexual assaults committed by Uber drivers.